I’ve heard of gratitude lists before and even gratitude journals. Apparently, successful people wake up every morning and write in their journals what they are grateful for. I had been planning to write a gratitude list today, but it just so happens I’m feeling really shitty about something. No one but myself to blame for the consequences. Hopefully, doing this will make me feel a bit better.
- I have family who I can call and will support me without judgement.
- My job is renewing my contract for another year.
- I have two dogs that love and care about me.
- I have a fantastic support group of women I can contact whenever I’m having a hard time.
- I’m able to live and lead the life I choose.
- I work in an environment that allows me to creative and is happy that I’m there.
- I don’t currently have any major health problems.
- There are people in my community who are happy to see me.
- I have the respect of my students.
- I’m in a position in life where I can fix my fuck-ups.
Okay, that was actually more difficult than I expected. I kind of got stuck after 6 and I was tearing up towards the end. Do I feel better? Yes. Did the reality of my problem go away? No. However, I feel like when I tell myself that it’s going to be okay, I believe it a bit more.
A bucket list always seemed like something people do when they are about to die. A Walk to Remember, anyone? But, as I’ve gotten older I realize that you need little things in life to look forward to.
My mom told me what gets her through her nursing shifts, is knowing which vacation she will be going on next. When I’m in a rut, I need to make some sort of plan (even a stay-cation) to get my spirits up.
So, here I am 29 years old with 29 things on my bucket list!
- learn to trick rope
- make a build-a-bear
- have a personal library full of books I love
- adopt a child
- buy lots of land
- get a scrub at a Korean bath house
- buy a modern hanbok
- visit all 50 states
- have a farm
- get my master’s degree
- work as a librarian
- grow a vegetable garden
- go to the Australia zoo
- learn to drive stick
- road trip to the grand canyon
- fly first class
- learn Korean
- get a tattoo
- run a marathon
- see the northern lights in Iceland
- vacation at Giraffe Manor
- visit my online friends
- ride a hot air balloon
- go on an epic hike
- have a black lamb named Jennifer
- go to a drive in movie
- have a lake or beach house
- travel to different countries
- work with exotic animals
Well, there’s my bucket list? What’s on yours?